Wednesday, November 23, 2016

How To Survive The Holidays During Infertility

Holidays are always the hardest time of the year for me. Holidays are focused around families so couples with infertility issues often struggle through the holidays and this is true for myself. It is so hard to keep a smile on my face for everyone else when all you can think about is never having a family of your own to celebrate the holidays with. And giving thanks at a time, when all you feel like doing is crying, can seem unreasonable at best and cruel at worst. It makes it hard that the majority of people you are around do not understand and sometimes can make insensitive comments. Two suggestions that I try to use, whenever I can keep my emotions under control, are that it is okay to say no and try to keep moving forward. You can tactfully decline the invitation. Sometimes it is better to put your own emotions first. It is healthier for you to have relationships and family events on your own terms, even though others may not understand. Do not get quilted in to doing something you don’t feel comfortable doing or anything that will cause you more stress. On good days I try to make the conscious decision to keep moving. . Winston Churchill once said, "If you're going through hell, keep going." That means you still have to get out of bed every day and put your feet down on the floor, even if they don't feel like moving.

For the past few years we have not even decorated our home but this year, thanks to my wonderful husband we will decorate. We will celebrate and start new family traditions and I will try to stay optimistic that we will be able to adopt by next holiday season. It is always good to have a support system. My husband is mine and on the bad days when I don’t want to get out of bed or even eat he makes sure that I do. He is always so strong and optimistic.



No comments:

Post a Comment